Sunday, July 22, 2012

April's shower and quilt

April is a friend from church. 
She is having a boy in about 4 weeks and has done his nursery in sailboats. 

I went to Hickory (where I thought I would have the best luck finding sailboat fabric) to start the search. I went to 2 fabric stores (I had no luck at Hancocks) and started to think about searching online. Then I remembered the store where I bought my sewing machine. It was about 15 minutes further away from home so I found their card and called them. Hurray! they had some!
(This is when I also got the monkey fabric for this quilt)

About a week later I was in the Hickory Walmart and came across 3, THREE other prints with sail boats. So I bought them and used one as the backing. The other two will be quilted together as another quilt for down the line. 


once I got home I started to design a quilt.
I was going to make 10 inch log cabin blocks with fussy cut centers. 

Which I did. 
sortof

I just measured wrong. 
I forgot to measure that the block would increase in size on BOTH sides of the center block!

This made it that the final block would be 14 inches square. 

I realized this when I was 1/2 way done the second round of the log cabin. 
so I stopped. 
just like that I stopped and sewed what I had together. 

The blocks are 12 inches square and look pretty good even though they are not quite complete. 



Finished size is apx 36x50, a nice lap sized quilt for a little boy as he grows. 

I quilted in the ditch in straight lines using the center blocks as a guide. 

signed

back

I think they look good together

I love how fluffy this turned out to be. 



and here are the pictures from the shower:

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love that backing you picked!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...